Saturday

KOA Campground

Me and Haines at the KOA in Acton.
I carry paper maps and guide book pages for approximately 500-mile sections. Before I left home I prepared these resources in resupply boxes to be sent to me as needed by my wife Karen. On Tuesday May 16th I pitched my tent at the KOA Campground for a $15 charge. Wednesday morning  I hitchhiked into the town of Acton to pick up my resupply box at the post office. I got a ride from an older gentleman named Greg driving a white Ford Ranger pickup truck. Greg dropped me off at the post office just as it was opening the timing was perfect. Before I got out of the truck I asked Greg where I can get a good breakfast. He said the best place is Crazy Otto's but it's a long way from the KOA, then he offered to wait while I picked up my package and drive me to Crazy Otto's. When Greg dropped me at the restaurant I invited him to join me and offered to pay for his breakfast in hopes I could get a ride back to the KOA. He said he had already eaten but he'd be back in a half hour to pick me up to take me back to the KOA. Crazy Otto's was the best breakfast I've had in a month . Only one cook in the kitchen but he really knew what he was doing. On the way back to the KOA I offered Greg money for gas and he refused to take it. But when he stopped at the gas station to refuel I jumped out of the truck and swiped my credit card at the pump and started filling his tank. I wanted to fill it but he stopped me at $10.
Every single day on the trail I am overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers.
For some people when we are not competing with each other, we are still  in competition to be our personal best.

No comments:

Post a Comment