Saturday

Tracking Beacon

The majority of long-distance hikers that I have met ,carry some form of tracking device or emergency Beacon. Mine is called the spot connect .During the time that I have my device turned on , my support team back home can click on a shared web page to follow my progress and see my exact location on a map as it is updated every 10 minutes.
My friend Mark is a retired Logistics expert.
During my 2012 Appalachian Trail thru hike he called me on my cellular phone on several occasions to guide me back to the trail when he saw that I made a wrong turn. On Thursday May 18th of this year I left the desert town of Agua Dulce. I was 4 miles into the desert when I realized I had not packed enough water to get me to the next water source safely. I had no choice but to go back to Agua Dulce to fill my water jugs. But first I went into the bar and grill had a couple of beers and burgers with the other hikers. I knew that Mark would be the first one to realize that something was wrong. So after lunch I sent him an email explaining why I returned to Agua Dulce. He immediately replied I thought you had a problem with your gear  because I see you are at the hardware store. All the while I was in the Pub ,my pack and Beacon were on a bench outside of the hardware store where the water hose is to refill my jugs . Mark used his computer skills to Overlay my Geographic location with a map from Google Earth to see what building I was in.
One week later ,after resupplying in the town of Mojave California my beacon batteries were dead and I didn't realize until I was past the point of no return. In a remote area with no cell signal. I had no way to communicate to my loved ones that all was well. I moved as quickly as I could for 3 Days until I finally had Karen on the phone .she told me that Mark  advised her the day earlier to give me one more full day before calling the Rangers.
Later that day ,I stopped at Walker Pass Campground and met a trail angel named Chris a 74 year old retiree and Ultra Runner. Chris was at the campground providing food and beverages to assist the hikers. When I told him my situation he happily offered me a ride to the town of Ridgecrest 25 miles away where they have a super Walmart and Kmart. Now  I'm carrying enough batteries to keep my beacon working until I meet with Karen in Oregon for the solar eclipse in late August.
I am solo hiker, but I am never alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment