Monday

Lost in a pocket

It's important for me to look over my maps and data sheets in the evening during daylight. I usually start hiking before the sun comes up. Studying map in the morning  by flashlight it's easy to overlook details. Especially at elevation with no coffee. I put the maps that I need for the next day in a pocket where I can easily access them during the hike. This particular morning moving swiftly on Flatland I lost track of the distance I traveled and missed an important turn at a stream Crossing. I couldn't find my map in my pocket. I unpacked all my gear from my backpack searching for my map. As the sun came up the trail revealed itself.
Simon , the Mountaineer I met on san Jacinto told me" if you are adequately provisioned, and you have appropriate survival gear ,and know how to use it. You are never lost you're just sleeping someplace different than you anticipated. Genius! I also have wilderness camping permit & a California campfire permit. I'll never forget Lessons Learned as a Boy Scout, be prepared.
I covered 20 miles that day despite my circuitous route. The map was in my pocket the whole time. Clear skies ,cloudy brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment