Thursday

Slack pack

I Double zeroed friday & Saturday in the big bear area. During that time I became familiar with the public tranportation between the Two Towns Big bear city & Big bear lake.  Big bear lake has greater resupply options and the mountain transit is reliable
"Slackpack" is Trail talk  for hiking without the full weight of your gear. There are many ways to accomplish this.At The Nature's Inn I met Mike & Greg, local residence. They were interested in long distance hiking lifestyle and they were familiar with the local trails .Greg  offered to drive me around that weekend  showing me many  access points from Trail to town.You can choose to slack a small number of miles or almost 20 miles in that area, without coordinating with Car and Driver.I reserved the mountain lion room for another night, with the intention of leaving most of my gear  in the hotel room,  walking a few Trail miles and returning to the hotel. Jerry the innkeeper told me to bring cold weather gear on my hike .I'm glad I listened to Jerry.What started as a sunny day quickly became a freezing winter wonderland. My gloves were inadequate and I quickly lost the fine motor skills of my hands due to the bitter cold. Setting up my tent would've been nearly impossible . Instead I fumbled with the key to my room turned up the heat lit the
fireplace and took a hot shower Much thanks Jerry. Big Bear City is more like Mayberry RFD .Jerry runs the Nature's inn with a comfortable family feel. It was hard to leave

2 comments:

  1. My daughter and I visited the Big Bear area last year... but it was warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good Paul! Hope all is well, will be following your journey!

    ReplyDelete