Saturday

Yogi's book

My campsite at Tule was exposed. When the sun went down the wind began to scream like Banshees. I had heard the story of a 2017 hiker who received the trail name Dorothy after his tent Blew Away In The Wind with his cellphone still in it..
Jackie McDonnell writes hiking guide books under the name Yogi. Jackie has gathered information from an amazing group of experience thru-hikers.the technique I used to secure my tent to the ground came directly from her book. When the earth is too hard to secure tent Stakes. Put your trekking poles through the stake loops on your tent lay them flat on the ground and stack heavy rocks on top of them. Thank you Jackie and thanks to your Intrepid team of global Trekkers.
Saturday morning I still have my tent but some of my personal items could use laundry service.
The trail north of Highway 74 is detoured due to recent fire. I hiked the 15 miles to the road then caught a ride with a man named herk into Idyllwild. Hurk helped me and another hiker find accommodations for the evening.
The alternative Trail I've chosen out of Idyllwild is called The Devil's Slide. Appropriately named the root climbs from 5000 feet to just over 7,000 feet within 10 miles. The room in Idlewild was so comfortable I didn't leave until check out at noon. Bad planning that hike In the Heat of the day is potentially deadly. Used map and Compass to navigate this unfamiliar trail system. I often make wrong turns and make up the difference with tenacity. I found myself at a junction named Wellman's divide just two and a half miles from the summit of Mount San Jacinto. The Summit is 10800 feet above sea level. It was 4:30 in the afternoon and I decided to push through to the summit and camp further down the ridge on the other side. less than 1/2 Mile out of Wellman's I met a young Mountaineer named Simon. Simon was experienced and familiar with local trails. After a few minutes of conversation Simon suggested that perhaps it was a bad choice to Summit that evening. He told me that the snowpack Beyond The Summit obscured the trail and even though he had walked it many times he found himself lost that day and chose to go back down the mountain on the more clearly defined path. We walked together to Wellman's divide where I set up my tent and he continued his descent. It was later that I realized how much the altitude had affected me. Conversation was difficult and like a drunk person I would try to plant my foot in front of me and it would land somewhere else. The thin air did not affect my sleep I slept great and summited the next morning at 9 o'clock

No comments:

Post a Comment